Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Toddler Talk

Funny things that have come out of Gavin's mouth lately...

Very first thing in the morning, he's literally still climbing out of bed...
"Needa picko, Mom"  (I need a pickle, Mom)

Walking out of his bedroom while I'm unloading the dishwasher...
"Dat ooo Mom making all dat noise?" (Is that you Mom making all that noise?)

I had just scolded Gavin for doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing...
"Ooo not bein nice. Ooo needa talk nice at me." (You're not being nice. You need to talk nice to me.)

Our dog Drake had just thrown up (water) in our front entryway... and then happily licked it all up again. Gavin went to look at it and noticed it was all gone...
"Where Dwake's dsums go? Where Dwake's dsums out his mouf go?" (Were did Drake's germs go? Where did Drake's germs out of his mouth go?)
I finally get what he's asking and say, "Oh, you mean his puke?"
"Mmm hmm, Where Dwake pook dsums, Mom? (Mmm hmm, where are Drake's puke germs, Mom?

It seems Gavin's mixing up nis nursery rhymes. I think this one was a combination of Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater and Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers.
"Picko had a wife couldn't keep her"

As Gavin is "stirring" some invisible yogurt in a toy grain wagon with a lincoln log for a spoon, he says to me...
"I makin oo some pesho ogut, Mom. Hee go, it's ummy and wuvwy ogut" (I'm making you some special yogurt, Mom. Here you go, it's yummy and lovely yogurt). Lovely yogurt. Ha ha!

Some of his favorite funny new words are beautiful, lovely, special and fantastic.

The other day, he comes out of his room with something and shouts "It's FANTASTIC!" and then goes back into his room.

Gavin is always making up songs. They almost always involve a tractor, a loader, plowing snow, and twinkle twinkle. The standard song goes something like this...
"Twinko, twinko, widdo twacto, wif a woader, pwowing da hno, fwoo da fiewd" (twinkle twinkle little tractor, with a loader, plowing the snow, through the field)

and his stories always start like this...
"One time? a big twacto wif a woader..."

I know - you really do need to hear it straight from his little mouth to get the full effect. He just makes me laugh. All the time.

Last night, I got home from work after he was in bed. He had just gotten back out of bed and started crying when I walked in the door so I snuck into his room. I was still wearing my jacket and shoes, had barely set down my purse... I walked in and met him in his doorway and crouched down to give him a hug. He said... I needed you Mom, for a special snuggle and kisses in my bed... or rather "I needed ju Mom fo a pesho hnuggo and kisses in mine bed"

After a special snuggle and kisses in his bed, I told him I needed to go take my coat and shoes off and he needed to go to sleep. I told him I love him and he said back, "I wuv oo too mom, too much"

I love that he says an "h" sound instead of an "s" sound when it comes before an "n" like in snow, snuggle, and snot. He says hno, hnuugo, and hnot. Hee hee

3 comments:

Renee said...

you should see if you can post the video of "peter peter pumpkin eater."

Kristin said...

I can totally picture him saything those things. It helps that you write them as he says them. I love it! I think Ben had the "H" thing going on for some words too... the hractor.

Anonymous said...

precious precious precious :)gb