Pages

Monday, January 5, 2009

Out with the old and in with the new

Erin, Cliff and Gavin, on New Year's Eve 2008

Happy New Year! 2009 will be filled with new and exciting milestones. Life with a new child brings many firsts - first tooth, first steps, first words - how fun it will be! Along with the excitement of the new year, I also have a bit of sadness that I can no longer spend my entire day snuggling Gavin since I am back at work. Today was my first day back at work and it actually went a lot better than I expected. I was very busy at work and even ended up staying later than I expected. I made it all day at work without a tear and didn't cry until I was almost home. Just the thought of him made me all teary-eyed. He was home with Cliff all day, thank goodness. I knew he was in very good hands, but I did miss him a lot. When I got home from work, I had been away from him for 11 1/2 hours, and he was sleeping when I left, so I hadn't held him in over 12 hours! When Cliff handed him to me at the end of the long workday, I couldn't stop smelling him and kissing him and I turned into a bit of a fountain! He smelled so good and was so soft and snuggly, I never wanted to let go! I just kept imagining having to leave him at daycare, in a place unfamiliar to him with people unfamiliar to him. That's only a couple of weeks away! But for the next couple of weeks, he will be at home with Daddy and Mommy, Grandmas, His Cousin, and his Aunt - people who love him so much. Cliff had also made dinner last night, so that was an added bonus!! Tomorrow my Mom is watching him and she's coming out tonight to spend the night so she is here right away in the morning and we can head off to work! He will love his day with Grandma and I can rest easy, knowing he is in very capable, loving hands. Now, if only I can work up the willpower to go to work again tomorrow... On the good side, I am taking a vacation day on Wednesday and Gavin and I will spend the whole day together. I am already looking forward to it!

Speaking of leaving Gavin in the care of others, Cliff and I went out on New Year's Eve while Gavin spent a few hours with Grandma and Grandpa Jennings, Uncle Hermy, Aunt Darlene, and Aunt Nancy at G'ma & G'pa Jennings house. Cliff and I went to Missy & Colin's with a bunch of other friends for Fondue and we stayed out for six whole hours! Gavin stayed up until 11:00, but didn't quite stay awake long enough to ring in the new year! He was back home and fast asleep in his own bed by midnight!

Missy and Erin toast to the New Year with a couple of cold, refreshing glasses of milk!
Happy New Year!!

1 comment:

Dreams and Designs said...

Love chuggin' that milk!!! That's how I celebrated my 30th birthday in December!