Pages

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Heaven in 8 Hours

Oh my goodness gracious!!! Gavin slept for 8 hours last night. Do you have any idea how good 8 hours of sleep feels when you were sleeping 2 hours just a month ago? Me neither - because stupid, stupid me didn't go to bed when he did! Crazy me thought I would just do some housework until he woke up to eat again and feed him one more time before going to sleep myself. You know... I did a couple of loads of laundry, sorted through some baby clothes we'd been given, loaded and started the dishwasher, waded through my piles of scrapbook stuff covering the dining room table, and finally got to cleaning up dinner, which was still sitting on the other half of the dining room table. I just figured he'd be up again before too long, and I couldn't go to bed without cleaning up dinner anyway, so I started there and pretty soon it was about midnight. I finally went to bed around midnight. Gavin had been sleeping since 9:30.

I actually woke up at 3:30 to feed him since he was fussing, but I went to get a drink before feeding him and when I got back to him, he was sound asleep. So, I hesitantly climbed back into bed, knowing he'd be awake again in a matter of minutes - it always seems to happen that way. I finally decide he's asleep, I crawl into bed, am just about to doze off, and he starts to scream. But, not last night. The next thing I knew, I was waking up again and the clock said 5:30! He slept 9:30 - 5:30 with the exception of a few minutes of fussing at 3:30. After feeding and changing him at 5:30, he went back to sleep for a couple more hours! AND I got breakfast in bed. A hot and steamy ham-egg-cheese english muffin, an orange, a granola bar, and a delightful cup of two-day old coffee, reheated in the microwave. Don't knock the coffee - it was delivered to me in bed. There were no complaints!

So, it's now 9:00 in the evening and Gavin is asleep. Should I go to bed now? I think yes!


Unfortunately, Cliff is working on insulating my canning room in the basement and there is hammering and drilling going on directly below the bedroom, so even though Gavin can sleep through a freight train driving through the house, I don't think I can sleep through the construction and you won't find me complaining about Cliff working on my canning room!

We'll hope for another 8 hours and if I can sleep through 6 of them, I'll be as happy as a clam! I have to go back to work on Monday, after all. Can you imagine how absolutely, exstatically, wonderful it will be if Gavin starts sleeping for 8 hours each night just in time for me to go back to work? Heaven.

1 comment:

Dreams and Designs said...

Wow, please please please tell me the secret! We haven't had another horrible night, but back to the reguloar, every 4 hours or so.