Pages

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Eating for Two

I have never agreed with the whole "you can eat twice as much since you're eating for two" motto or the one that says you can eat whatever you want when you're pregnant. I believe that you still need to make wise, healthy choices about what you eat and for me, that pretty much meant eating as I normally do, with two exceptions - no skipping meals because I don't have time, and eliminating or minimizing just a few things like caffeine and alchohol. Generally, I don't consume a ton of caffeine anyway, but I basically now don't drink any more than two cups combined of coffee, pop, or whatever and obviously no alchohol.

I thought it was funny that the pregnancy guides and newsletters I get kept reminding me to avoid filling up on sugary foods like glazed donuts and instead make the most out of the calories being consumed. Basically, get the most bang for your buck. Instead of having a donut, have a protein bar. Instead of having a piece of cake, have some fruit. If you're consuming the calories, make sure that they contain nutrition for the baby, not just sugar. Makes total sense to me... and plus, I'm not much of a sweets person anyway. I tend to crave salty potato chips rather than candies and cakes.

...UNTIL a couple of weeks ago. And it seems to be getting worse each day. I suddenly can't get enough sugar. I want cake, candy bars, ice cream, pie, candy, cookies, hot cocoa... basically anything sweet. And I don't tire of it. It came upon me suddenly and it hasn't left yet. I had a bowl of Crispix for breakfast, but then followed it with a peanut butter granola bar. Then when I got to work I had a mini Kit Kat. And then with my lunch I had an oatmeal raisin cookie. Then someone told me there were pecan caramel rolls in the break room, so I went and had one of those. Now, granted, I did eat half of a roast beef sandwich and a bowl of fruit at lunch, so it's not like all I've had all day is sugar. But I just can't seem to get enough of it. If it isn't readily available, then I go looking for it. One day last week I think I had 5 or 6 pieces of taffy from someone's candy dish. I've avoided that candy dish since then, but soon discovered a big bowl of halloween candy in the storage room at work. I'll tell you there are no snack sized snickers left in there... but I won't tell you who ate them. : ) So, even after a Kit Kat, an oatmeal raisin cookie, and a pecan caramel roll, I'm thinking about whether I should go get a piece of candy or have another granola bar. I am not hungry - not even a little. I just want more sugar.

Is this sweet tooth going to go away soon? ...hopefully???

1 comment:

CarrieRutz said...

Ahh, I hate to admit it but there are days when I eat like that and it has nothing to do with pregnancy.