Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Fonts - the coolest thing ever

I have a bit of an obsession with a few little things...

patterned paper
fabric
fonts (or typeface)

It could be worse. These items are relatively inexpensive. I say relatively... at least my obsession isn't with Manolo Blahnik shoes or expensive foreign cars. It's simply with paper, fabric, and typeface, which really isn't even a material thing anyway!

The thing is, I don't actually craft all that much. I buy paper for scrapbooking, but I hate to use it up, so I have BOXES of pretty 12" x 12" patterned papers at home. I know - it's a sickness. I just love to look at it. I love to see it safely stored away there in it's box. I actually love to tote it around too, when I go scrapbooking. I like to match patterns up together and see how they look. I just don't want to use it up.

...and fabric? Don't even get me started on fabric. It's really the only reason I sew at all. I don't actually enjoy sewing - I'm really, really bad at it! I just love the fabric. If I could make things just by glueing fabric, I would. If fabric never frayed, I would just cut it into cute shapes and designs and just use it like that. I buy fabric before I know exactly what I'm going to do with it... but fabric is expensive, so I do control myself a bit better with it than I do with paper. Paper is usually less than a dollar per sheet and the fabrics I like are often at least eight dollars per yard.

Then there are fonts. You see, I like type. I'm not so much a fan of the basics like Times New Roman and Arial, but I love the more whimsical, reminiscent, and artistic fonts that you often only find in custom graphics.

I buy alphabet stickers to use on cards, in scrapbooks, and in home decor just because they come in such awesome fonts.

So, boy oh boy was I excited when I saw that Emily over at Jones Design had a post about fonts today and linked to not only free or really cheap fonts, but also instructions on how to install a new font on your computer.

Can I get a Hallelujah???? Emily, how I love thee today! Thanks for the awesome fonts!

http://jonesdesigncompany.com/create/fonts

Oh, and if you like fun and stylish little craft projects that do not involve construction paper or glitter glue, Emily is your Go-To gal! Check out her fantabulous trendy tutorials at http://jonesdesigncompany.com/tutorials. Click on a thumbnail picture for her step-by-step!

Hope you enjoy them as much as I do! 
.

No comments: