Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Ramblings

  * We're having a heat wave here in western Wisconsin! It was 36 degrees when I left my house this morning at 5:30. Seems like we haven't seen temps like this since November!! It's supposed to be close to 50 degrees tomorrow. I can't even believe it and I don't want to be at work. It's going to be hard for me to keep going to work this spring! Of course, by the weekend, it's supposed to be back down to 20s for the highs. Just a little taste of spring - to get us through the next month of winter! I think winter technically ends next week or something, but those of us in the north know that it continues to snow for at least another month after spring officially starts. I don't know that spring really starts for me until after the last snowfall. I don't know where this came from, but Gavin has suddenly started saying "5 degrees" even when it doesn't make any sense at all. He says crazy silly things like, "When I was on the tractor and it was 5 degrees and I was in the drivers seat and grandpa was giving me a ride because I was on the tractor with a loader because it was 5 degrees." Yeah, end of story. He obviously heard someone say something about 5 degrees at some point.

* Cliff and I have both been trying to get better about taking a night each week alone to do what we want, separately. So, like this week, Cliff is going out for tacos with his friends on his night out and I'm going to the salon after work and then having dinner with a girlfriend on my night out. It gives each of us a needed break from both the duties of parenting and from eachother. We sort of fell off the wagon for awhile and we noticed it in our moods. We both felt like we weren't getting any time to do some of the things we wanted or needed to do. It's a chance to connect with friends, to run errands, to catch up on blogging or scrapbooking, to indulge in something we enjoy, or just to go for a walk or spend some time out of the house.

* Last week I went to the mall, not THE mall as in the mall of america, but a mall, as in Rosedale. I haven't been "to the mall" in a very long time - I'm sure more than a year. I'm just not a mall shopper. Anyway, while at the mall last week with my girlfriend, I went into a store that carries some really cute clothes that I think are ok to wear when you're 34 years old, but still cute for 14 year olds. Maybe I'm totally wrong about the stuff being okay to wear at 34. I tried on a handful of things, four or five, and walked out of there feeling like a whale! Each cute piece I put on quickly went from cute to horrid in a matter of a few seconds, when I saw what I looked like wearing it. Mid-winter is never a good time to try on summery clothes because we northerners are pale and chubby this time of year. Okay, so maybe that's just me that's pale and chubby. I honestly think I start looking more blue this time of year, I'm that WHITE! The extra weight really snuck up on me. It could have something to do with the candy, chocolate, etc. that I've been enjoying. I've actually been trying to eat more nutritiously, but then I follow up with desserts and lots of them. It's like I think I have an excuse to eat like crap since I just ate healthy. So, I'm going to try to be better. Hopefully the coming warmer weather will also help me to get more exercise. The cold temps we've had have kept me from getting outside for exercise and we don't have a gym membership.

* I've been on a bloody mary kick. I don't know if it's just the tomato juice that I love so much, but I could drink them all day and they don't need to have any vodka in them either! I think I'll have one tonight! Today is one of those days.

Have a good Tuesday. Oh my goodness, it's only Tuesday?  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I get sucked into those stores too- and I walk right back out after a quick trip to the dressing room too! LOL

Loving this heat wave!!! Love the idea of one night alone- think it probably makes those nights together better! -Beth