Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Reading List

I'm not a huge reader. I do like to read, but mostly because I like the stories, not necessarily because I love reading all that much. Maybe those two things are the same. I guess what I mean is that I like interesting and pleasant stories with happy endings. I don't really like reading books that don't have happy endings or that have so much violence or sadness that they leave me feeling disturbed or depressed, no matter how well they may be written. That said, I haven't read very many books in the last few years that I really liked. Some of my favorite books to read are books about friendships and fun times.

Here are some books I've enjoyed over the years.
The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood series
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series (sensing a theme here?) LOVE both of these series
The Mermaid Chair
The Secret Life of Bees
The Bridges of Madison County
Same Kind of Different as Me
The Bean Trees (and Animal Dreams, but not as much)
Under the Tuscan Sun
East of the Mountains
Snow Falling on Cedars (I realize these last two don't exactly follow suit)

Books I read, but didn't enjoy (they ended sadly or never were happy in the first place)
Vinegar Hill
We Were the Mulvaneys
Kite Runner

I only usually only finish two or three books a year, but this year I've already finished two and I'm on the third. Granted, they were short books!

Read already this year
Heaven is for Real (loved this, but I cried through the first half)
Whatever You Like (Not what I expected. Fun though, but really racy!)
Water for Elephants (almost finished!)

Some on my list for this year
Firefly Lane
Nanny Diaries
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Moon Over Manifest (it's for 9-12 year olds)
A Walk in the Woods (Bill Bryson)
The Elegance of the Hedgehog

Here are some other people's reading lists that I just may borrow!
http://www.centsationalgirl.com/2011/01/new-favorite-reads/
http://blueeyedbride.com/2011/01/04/my-2011-reading-list/
http://blueeyedbride.com/2010/12/29/my-2010-reading-list-review/

What's on your reading list? What are some happy, fun, cheerful, or romantic books you can recommend to me? Please, please, send me your recommendations!!!

No comments: